Nanotechnology is the branch of physics that deals with the study of few hundred atoms.
Mission of Nanotechnology: To increase the ratio of surface area to volume.
This helps to increase the storage capacity.
Nanotechnology is very diverse, ranging from novel extension of conventional devices physics, to completely new approaches based upon molecular self assembly, to developing new materials with dimensions on the nano-scale, even to speculation on whether we can directly control matter to the atomic scale. Nanotechnology has the potential to create many new materials and devices with wide ranging applications, few of them are as follows:
- Nano medicine diagnosis, drug delivery and tissue engineering are the important uses of the nanotechnology in medicine.
- Catalysis, nano-filtration are its uses in chemistry.
- Reduction of energy consumption, increasing the efficiency of energy production, fuel cells, nano-battery, nano-capacitor etc. are important uses of nanotechnology in energy sector.
- ICs, novel optoelectronic, semiconductor devices, display and quantum computer are the uses of nanotechnology in electronics.
- Nanotechnology is already impacting the field of consumer goods, providing product with novel functions ranging from easy to clean to scratch-resistance.
- It is also used in heavy industries like aerospace, construction, refineries, vehicles manufacturing etc.